5 minutes with Sean Reynolds ’08

Position: Chief of facility management, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Muir Woods National Monument, Fort Point National Historic Site

Degree: Bachelor’s in construction management

Hometown: Corte Madera, California 

What led to your career with the National Park Service? 

I didn’t expect to work in the public sector. Through a National Park Service career program, I was hired as a facility operations specialist. My background in construction fit well with overseeing maintenance, repair and rehabilitation of facilities. 

What do you do as a chief of facility management? 

I oversee the facilities program at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. This is one of the largest urban parks in the world. Managing facilities includes preserving and protecting assets, including more than 400 historic and nonhistoric buildings and structures. 

What’s one of your latest projects? 

Recently, I worked on the design and installation of a new fire suppression system for an historic Army barracks building that is being converted into a dormitory for seasonal park employees. Such a project means finding creative solutions for balancing preservation and safety. The stakes are higher for historic facilities because, in a sense, they are priceless. 

Was there an experience or class at ECU that helped lead to your success? 

Construction management provided me a solid foundation of technical skills I use on a regular basis. The skills I learned at ECU I have found to be most useful are writing and leadership. As a manager, effective communication and leadership are critical to success. 

Anything else to add? 

As a public servant and steward of public lands, it is rewarding to know that the work I do serves the American people and will continue to do so for future generations. I am grateful that I can work in these beautiful places.

We want to hear stories from alumni about how their experiences at ECU shaped them today and how they pass those lessons to others. Send us an email at easteditor@ecu.edu.