5 minutes with Daphne Brewington '90 '98 '13

Position: Administrator for nursing professional practice and development and magnet program director at Vidant Medical Center

Degree: Bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate in nursing

Hometown: Belhaven

“Over the past 32 years, I have had the opportunity to care for critically ill patients, develop professional nurses, partner with and lead interprofessional teams and prepare the next generation of nurses. As a nurse leader at Vidant Medical Center, I enjoy inspiring and influencing nurses at all levels and specialties to be their best selves. I am a catalyst committed to maintaining the highest standards of nursing excellence. Growing up in eastern North Carolina, it is a privilege and an honor to serve the citizens of eastern North Carolina through cultivating and elevating nursing practice.

“When I think back over my experiences at ECU, I am reminded that my educational experience was invaluable. With three degrees from the ECU College of Nursing, what I know now is that I had the best professors for each level of learning. These experiences propelled me to grow and develop in life. With the fast-paced changes in health care, proactive thinking is necessary. I maintain a level of curiosity for lifelong learning and development that will propel nursing practice forward.

“This little girl from Belhaven, North Carolina, is so proud of the educational experiences the ECU College of Nursing provided. I am a Pirate nurse through and through. All of my dreams have come true.”

We want to hear stories from alumni about how their experiences at ECU shaped them today and how they pass those lessons to others. Send us an email at easteditor@ecu.edu